Monday, November 5, 2007

First day of school

It is the first day of college at the University of Houston, the sun is shinning and it is really hot. It is the end of August so the hot Houston days are still upon us. After a twenty-five minute drive, I exit Cullen and search for a close parking spot in the student parking lot. I’m not too sure exactly where I am supposed to go first, and I sort of park in the first parking lot I find. As I stumble out of my car, in my new clothes, holding a brand new spiral notebook and pen. I walk towards the tall buildings on campus. I instantly notice a tent set up with what looks like staff sitting under it. They are giving out maps and I think to myself perfect I can ask for help here and not look like a lost freshman to an upperclassman. After walking across campus to find my way to my first class, I walk into an auditorium in SR117 filled with rows and rows of chairs and table tops, just in time to find a seat in the front row eager to learn. I am all alone and I hear glimpse of different student’s conversations with friends and classmates. It is intimating and overwhelming at first, the professor begins his lecture, on the first day of school. After an hour and a half of biology it is down the hall to pre-calculus. I walk into class and this seems a little more normal it is a classroom this time and there are about seven rows of twenty desks. The professor just goes over the syllabus and sends us on our way, no lecture on the first day. I walk across campus back to my car and drive the twenty-five minute drive home. I get ready for day two tomorrow. I’m nervous yet excited and I can’t wait to see what the semester holds.

No comments: