Sunday, September 9, 2007

Guilty until proven innocent…and always being judged…

Clothes just like everything else you wear or do sends off messages about who you are and the type of person you are. Peers my see you as cool or as an equal when you dress like them, but to cops, teachers and others the message may be different. If you walk around with baggy pants and shirts with drug paraphernalia on them or curse words, cops and bosses will not take you seriously and think of you as a punk kid who is into no good just trying to fit in. On the other hand, your friends that dress the same will think you are cool and accept you rather than make you an outcast. Many times, the message comes across different from what you really want to say and you may be sending messages you don’t want to send. Back to the kid with baggy jeans, he may not want to be seen as a gangster or a thug, but that is what he portrays when he dresses that way. This kid maybe a straight “A” student accepted to an Ivy League college. Just like the saying actions speak louder than words, so does your appearance, people judge you before they even hear what you have to say.

I can usually be found in either t-shirt and jeans, or business casual attire, depending on the situation. I try to be comfortable at school, but professional at work. My clothes say exactly who I am: a young woman, on her way to becoming a successful adult in this crazy world. When I’m at work, in the real world I send the message that I am a confidant woman on the way to the top, while at school I send off the message, I am working to learn everything I can so one day I can be the successful in whatever career I choose.

Like I said before people judge you before you even get a chance to speak your mind or let them know who you really are so show them who you really are and don't let your clothes make you out to something your not.

No comments: